Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Quiet Moments in Life

Think about it: When was the last time you had a quiet moment in life? A moment without industrialisation, noise pollution, or even people.

As I went home from school today on 6 November, it was about 4pm so I was pretty early. Instead of taking the usual turn to the left where I'm swayed by the huge crowd, I decided to the right. Because I was just bored.

I realised another side of the MRT station I never saw. It was quiet, and pretty empty. Just a few mindless souls walking around. I followed suite, and crossed the road. Subconsciously, I stopped my tracks, turned around, and crossed the same road again. Why? I don't know. The Little Guilin just attracted me.

I took my time to walk down these familiar tracks. I felt like I was back in my childhood days. I stretched out my arms to balance myself while walking, even though I know I don't need that help. Ahh, it was great pretending to be back in my childhood. 

I stared at the familiar huge rocks, and took a deep breath of cold air. I decided to sit on the short wall separating the walkway from the lake. I remember when I was young, my brother and I sat there (even closer to the water). I guess that when we're young, we don't fear anything. We stared at the turtles in the water. We threw crumbs of bread into the water to see ripples form and turtles fighting for food. And today, I was back there reminiscing those moments. There was a slight drizzle so I had the privilege to see ripples collide, and insects skipping on the delicate surface of the water.



The water was greenish. I could see the clear reflection of the huge rocks, which we used to call 'caves', in the water, as well as the thick and dark clouds approaching. I looked into the far distance and saw some turning. How I wish I had some boat so I could see what else was there. The scenery was breath-taking.

As I walked out I decided to hear 苏打绿 Soda Green's 小时候. It almost put me to tears :).

Instead of going home, I decided to walk more. I let my subconscious self lead me through the destined path. I walked under this familiar walkway sheltered by the MRT tracks. I looked at the designs on the ground and thought "Was it really 5 years ago that I saw this?". I looked at the open area where we used to play badminton. The house nearby always had some small windmill which we always admired. Where did it go? 

I continued walking. I doubted myself for awhile. I actually I thought I was lost. I just continued walking and somehow found a familiar path to take. I soon found a place I missed so dearly. The basketball court, where we used to be amazed at all those big kids who were able to score. The playground, where we used to play funny games there to keep ourselves entertained. The slope, where I learned how to ride a 2-wheeled bicycle. The drain, where I once feared for the safety of kids who entered it. And the building across the road, my home. My journey came to an end.

I love it how one decision in life just makes a progression to the next, and somehow, all of these choices are destined. Well that's what I like to believe in.

I miss those quiet moments in life. I miss those childhood memories. I miss Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment